On May 19, the votes you cast could impact your basic rights for years to come.
Item 1 - the Pennsylvania Supreme Court
Our state Supreme Court is the final stop when bad laws happen - like redistricting, which has
condemned us to an overwhelming GOP Congress even though we live in an overwhelmingly
Democratic state. We must choose the strongest Democratic Team possible to take the Court
back in November.
Item 2 - Superior and Commonwealth Courts. These are our state appeals courts, and we must
begin to overcome the GOP majorities that too often uphold bad laws.
Item 3 - Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas. These judges oversee issues of families
and children, decide civil matters of significant amounts of money, and preside in serious criminal
cases. Electing the right judges at our county level could mean the difference between true justice
On May 19, we will also be deciding on our county level leadership for the next four years, our city
controller, and - for Districts 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 13 - our new member of the school board.
We believe that an informed voter is the best weapon in a civilized democracy.
To help you, our committee met the candidates for this election and sent each candidate in a
contested election a questionnaire to get in-depth answers and move beyond sound bites. You
may view the questionnaires and other responses on right of this page. We
also rated the candidates in contested election on a scale of 0 to 5 (with 5 being best).
The results and links to candidate responses to our questionnaire are on the right hand side of this page.
We wholeheartedly support these Allegheny County leaders running for reelection without
Chief Executive Rich Fitzgerald
District Attorney Stephen Zappala
Treasurer John Weinstein
County Council At-Large Member John DeFazio
This is your home, if you are a Democrat and live in Shadyside.
The Shadyside Dems represent the Democrats who live in Shadyside, and help carry out the work of the Democratic Party within Shadyside, the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and the nation. We organize and work to ensure victory for the Democratic ticket, and to ensure that our candidates stay true to our Democratic values.
Our ward runs from Fifth Avenue to Centre Avenue, between Neville Street and Penn Avenue. Within the ward, there are 14 districts, each with two elected members of the Democratic committee - one woman and one man. Click here for a map.
These committee members are elected by the Democratic voters in the
Primary every four years. The local committee members elect a Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary,
and the Chair appoints a Treasurer for the committee. When no one is
elected, or when a vacancy occurs, the Chair appoints members who then
serve until the next election.
While our official duties are defined within the confines of the
Democratic Party, we are the closest elected officials to the
neighborhoods. We take our representation seriously - although we make
sure we have fun, too. We can often go to bat for our neighbors when
they need help getting government to work better, and cut the red tape
and help our neighbors be heard.
Within the Democratic Party, we recruit and support candidates. We interview and rate those who want our support. We work to register voters in the Democratic Party, get Democrats to vote, and we work at the polls on Election Day to answer questions and recommend candidates. We raise money and raise hell. And we have a great time doing it!
We are always looking for a few good women and men. You can run for committee, or become a Friend of the Shadyside Dems. As a friend, you'll get regular updates on what's happening within the Party, and how you can make a difference. You'll also be welcome to attend our regular meetings, and join in the discussion. Together, anything is possible!
We Democrats are the oldest political party in America and the youngest in spirit. We will remain so, because we enjoy the challenge of government.
Time and again, for almost two centuries, the Democratic Party has made government work -- to build and defend a nation, to encourage commerce, to educate our children, to promote equal opportunity, to advance science and industry, to support the arts and humanities, to restore the land, to develop and conserve our human and natural resources, to preserve and enhance our built environment, to relieve poverty, to explore space.
We have reached difficult and vital goals.
We recognize that the capacity of government is limited but we regard democratic government as a force for good and a source of hope.
At the heart of our party lies a fundamental conviction, that Americans must not only be free, but they must live in a fair society.
We believe it is the responsibility of government to help us achieve this fair society.
- a society where the elderly and the disabled can lead lives of dignity and where Social Security remains an unshakable commitment;
- a society where all people can find jobs in a growing full-employment economy;
- a society where all workers are guaranteed without question the legal right to join unions of their own choosing and to bargain collectively for decent wages and conditions of employment;
- a society where taxes are clearly based on ability to pay;
- a society where the equal rights of women are guaranteed in the Constitution;
- a society where the civil rights of minorities are fully secured and where no one is denied the opportunity for a better life;
- a society where both public and private discrimination based upon race, sex, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic status, philosophical persuasion or physical disability are condemned and where our government moves aggressively to end such discrimination through lawful means;
- a society where we recognize that the strengthening of the family and the protection of children are essential to the health of the nation;
- a society where a sound education, proper nutrition, quality medical care, affordable housing, safe streets and a healthy environment are possible for every citizen;
- a society where the livelihoods of our family farmers are as stable as the values they instill in the American character;
- a society where a strong national defense is a common effort, where promoting human rights is a basic value of our foreign policy, and where we ensure that future by ending the nuclear arms race.
This is our purpose and our promise.
|Count Down to May 19th Primary